Lochter trip & Bung Mop test

 GCFflyshop had a wee trip to one of our favorite fisheries Lochter in the northeast of Scotland the fishery is set in the rolling farm fields and just a few miles from the prominent Bennachie, not the larges mountain but still a fantastic view from the fishery.

This is quite an old picture of when it was quite new it is well established now and the two ponds at the top have been dug out and change since the picture was taken
and seeing I can't fly or have a drone this picture will have to do lol

Lochter has 3 large ponds the top two are called Osprey & Heron and the muckle trout don't need to tell you which one that is all 3 are fly fishing only and 2 ponds for the non-fly fishers (bait Fishing) you will be told the bait pond when you turn up to fish.  All are stocked with the fantastic fish from Forgue fish farm another of my favorite fisheries will have more on this fishery in future posts or more likely these days reared Lochter fish trout.

When I got there it was nice and cloudy and yes it was windy but not over windy so decided it was the dry fly for me so on went a daddy on the point and a Parachute Iron Blue Dun on the dropper and it was instant rise to the daddy 1st cast but guess what I was talking and missed it.

Well that was the story of the first few hours rise after rise and miss after miss I was thinking It was me but I was up at Lochter with my old man and my son in law and they were all having the same problem getting the interest in the fly but hooking them was a different story it was just one of those days taking short or so soft when you lifted into them you missed them but that's dry fly fishing for you.

The dry fly session was short-lived as the wind that was not over windy decided it was going to be over windy and was making the dry fly (the daddy long legs) unfishable it was so strong at times it was lifting the fly off the water and anyway it put the fish down as it was a cold easterly for the time of year.

So a change was called for so I fish with two rods one with the floating line and the other set up with the intermediate and the latter was what I decided to try after a long hard looked in my fly boxes (I have too many flies) I decided on one of my favorite flies the Dancer. I tie so many variations of dancers but one of the best always seems to be my Blue flash dancer (See picture below}.

Once more it was the same story hit after hit but very hard to hook up it was just going to be one of those days I did land up with 13 tout my old man had 14 and the brother-in-law had 3 so all in all still a great day.

One last thing was I have been tying a mop bung fly and yesterday was the 1st time I got to try it out for myself and let it be known I was very very happy with the fly.

I was trying to tie a fly that would be fishery friendly as in some places the bung is not allowed unless it has a hook and a minimum of 3 or 4 materials my Bung mop fly has 5 and is tied on barbless blob hooks.

You can check out the pictures below of my bung mop flies and you can also see a picture of the bung at work in the water ok the picture is not that clear but considering it was nearly a full fly line length out it's not bad.

It worked great it held up a large bead-head lure and what made it even better was it did what I was hoping it would do take fish 2, in fact, it was great to see the fish rise and take the mop just as I hoped they would.

If you are interested in any of my flies you can look me up on Facebook for a chat.




My old man into a nice Rainbow.

One of my Rainbows.
My old man had this nice blue trout don't take the fish out of the water normally but this one was quite deep hooked but seeing as we fish barbless it came out easily and was returned within seconds and swam away strongly.
The Bung Mop fly at work.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GCFflyshop 1st Blog

Another great trip to Forgue Fishery.

GCFflyshop @ Forgue